Addison County has several resources for finding your ancestors' Vermont roots. By no means is this a complete list. If you have information to add‚ please email us.
- The Henry Sheldon Museum and Research Center
- Ilsley Public Library (Middlebury)
- Addison County Town Clerks
- Vermont Newspaper Project Catalog
- Genealogical Society of Vermont
- Vermont Historical Society
- Vermont State Archives
- VTGenWeb for Vermont History and Genealogy—Created by volunteers to explore the world of our ancestors who resided in Vermont especially this page.
- Interment.net Cemetery Transcription Library—Addison County
- Kindred Trails—worldwide genealogy resources—Addison County
- History at Home: A Guide to Geneaology
- rootsweb.com—Addison County
- genealogylinks.net—Addison County
- ancestry.com— Addison County
- CensusRecords.com, a free and paid service for census record lookups
Greenwood Cemetery is an 18.7 acre burying ground located at the foot of Stony Hill on the northerly side of Route 17 heading west to Burpee Road. Previously it was called the “The Bristol Cemetery” or “The Village Cemetery” or “Stony Hill Cemetery.” There are no records of burials prior to January 1895 when Erwin A. Hasseltine, under the direction of the Selectmen, compiled a lot book for the cemetery. Although there were no early records kept ,some of the tombstones there date from 1802. In November 1900 the Greenwood Cemetery was incorporated under the name Bristol Cemetery Association which manages its affairs. In 1904 the front section was enclosed with a wrought iron fence. There are upwards of 5,800 burials in Greenwood.
Mount Saint Joseph Cemetery is located at the corner of Plank Road and Burpee Road. It encompasses approximately 4 acres of land once owned by Bristol’s St. Ambrose parishioner John N. Fitzsimons. He deeded the land to the Vermont Catholic Diocese in 1897 for one dollar. There are upwards of 1,000 burials in St. Joseph’s.
Varney Cemetery is located at the southeast of Hardscrabble Road, a few rods west of Monkton Road. It was named for the Varney family which owned the land. The earliest burial there is dated 1809, but most of the burials date between 1840 and 1890. Only a few burials have occurred there since. There are 155 known burials in Varney. Perhaps the most prominent burials there are Henry McLaughlin (1759-1813) and his wife Mary (1763-1813) who were among Bristol’s first settlers.
Briggs Hill Cemetery is on the northern crest of Briggs Hill Road, on the way to Lincoln. The first burial there was in 1805 and most of the early burials were from the Briggs families. Other prominent names there are Burnham, Clark and Danforth. There are fewer than 150 known burials there.
Meehan Cemetery is located off Meehan Road in the middle of a meadow once owned by the Michael & Mary (Butler) Meehan family. There are fewer than 20 known burials there, none of them with the Meehan name.
Research suggests that the first burials in the Village Cemetery occurred in 1807. There is a monument dated in 1795, however it is believed to be a memorial. The Village Cemetery is an inactive cemetery. It is located in Salisbury Village at the south end of Prospect Street. The entrance to Prospect Street is located next to the Town Hall/Public Library building in the center of the Village.
The Holman Cemetery is located approximately one mile northwest of the Village on the west side of Route 7 at its intersection with Holman Road. Records indicate that the first burial in the Holman Cemetery was in 1815. The Holman Cemetery is an active cemetery.
The West Salisbury Cemetery
This cemetery is located three miles west of Salisbury Village. At its intersection with Route 7 ,travel west on the West Salisbury Road for 2.7 miles to its intersection with Leland Road and Shard Villa Road. The Cemetery is located on the west side of Leland Road at the intersection.
An alternate route to the West Salisbury Cemetery is to take the Three Mile Bridge Road at its intersection with Route 7 just south of East Middlebury. At the one-mile mark, the Three Mile Bridge Road merges with the Shard Villa Road on a wide corner that heads south. Total miles from Route 7 to the Cemetery are 4.3 miles.
John Weeks, in his "History of Salisbury" published in 1860, indicates that several of Salisbury's earliest settlers were buried on private grounds during the 1790's including approximately 30 in an unmarked cemetery.
Two known burials on private grounds are Nabby Cooper who died in 1796 is buried approximately 80 yards Southwest of the Holman Cemetery near the power-line. A path leads to her grave site through the woods. And Henry Rice, a Civil War veteran, is buried on the west side of the Lower Plains Road just south of the Salisbury-Middlebury town lines.
Many of the earliest burials in Salisbury rest in the West Salisbury Cemetery. Twenty-seven Revolutionary War, ten War of 1812 and 19 Civil War veterans are thought to be buried in the cemetery. Buried in the West Salisbury Cemetery is Josiah Clarke who was the first Salisbury soldier killed in action on April 23, 1862 in Yorktown, VA. Also killed in action and buried in West is Charles Walker on May 12, 1864 in Spotsylvania, VA.
Records suggest that the first burials in the West Salisbury Cemetery occurred between 1795 and 1799. The cemetery is an active cemetery.
- Area Theaters in and near Addison County
- Covered Bridges
- Fall Foliage
- Genealogy Resources
- Hiking Resources
- Horseback/Trail Riding
- Lake Champlain Bikeways
- Middlebury Tasting Trail & Tour
- Pick Your Own
- Scenic Byways, Driving & Walking Tours
- Sleigh Rides
- Vermont’s Lake Champlain Coast Wine Trail
- Winter Fun Inn Vermont Stay & Play Package