David J. Provost
David J. Provost is the Executive Vice President of Finance and Administration at Middlebury College and plays a strategic role in the overall management of the Middlebury enterprise. Primary responsibilities for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities, including accounting, finance, student financial services, investments/debt/treasury, forecasting and strategic planning. The College currently has in excess of $1.1 billion in assets under management. Other responsibilities include oversight of facilities, capital planning, dining operations, information technology services, and business services. Provost is responsible for the annual operating budget in excess of $280 million.
David is also the President of the Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium, and has led efforts to create an administrative cost solution for Middlebury College, Champlain College, St. Michael’s College and Norwich University.
David previously held the position of Senior Vice President of Finance and Advancement, and Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration at Champlain College. At Champlain David was responsible for the business operations of the College including Finance, Advancement, Campus Planning, Physical Plant, Safety and Security, Event Center and Auxiliary Services. In 2015 upon taking on the responsibility of Advancement, David gave up his responsibility of Human Resources and Information Technology. He was instrumental in creating the College’s 1st comprehensive Master Plan that creates a road map for Champlain’s projected growth and needs for the next 10 to 15 years. Recently led the transformational restructuring of the Advancement Office and create a focused and well executed Development Plan. In addition was an integral part in establishing the Champlain College Campuses in Montreal and Dublin, and the creation of a sophisticated financial modeling tool for Champlain College’s Board of Trustees.
David was born in Northfield, VT and grew up in Montpelier with his parents and 4 brothers. After attending St. Michael’s College with a major in accounting he worked for Deloitte and Touche in Boston for 5 years. In 1991 David returned to VT and worked 12 years in the ski industry. In 2005, David was named the VP of Finance & Administration at Champlain College. In 2017, David was named the EVP of Finance and Administration at Middlebury College. He now lives in Shelburne with his wife of 22 years, Anne and his 3 daughters, Samantha 20, (a Junior at Wake Forest) Rebecca 18 ( a freshman at Wake Forest) and Alyssa 15, who attends CVU. David enjoys skiing in the winter and spending time with his family on the lake in the summer.
Champlain Projects Completed under his leadership
- 2008 – addition of 100 residential beds Lakeview and Adirondack Halls
- 2009 – historic restoration of Aiken Hall achieving LEED Gold
- 2010 – historic restoration and addition to the 1850’s Cannon Estate and creation of Perry Hall, Champlain’s Admission and Welcome Center, LEED Platinum.
- 2011 – Completion of 36,000 square foot office building at Lakeside Ave, the Miller Center
- 2014 – Completion of 3 Residential buildings in hill section adding 270 residential beds and the Finney Quad. LEED Gold all 3 buildings.
- 2015 - completion of 75,000 square foot Center for Creative Media and Communication.
- Design and permitting of 180,000 square foot apartment building for upper classman to house 320 students in the downtown corridor. Broke ground on December 1st, 2016
- Restructuring of College’s balance sheet and debt portfolio with a public placement of $78 million in debt, Fall 2016.
- Preliminary design of new Information and Technology Building. Scheduled to break ground Fall 2018.
Volunteer and Board Service
- Executive Vice President Finance and Administration, Middlebury College, January 2017 to present
- Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement & Finance, Champlain College April 2015 to January 2017.
- Senior Vice President of Finance & Administration, Champlain College January 2008 to April 2015
- Vice President of Finance & Administration, Champlain College January 2005 to January 2008.
- Owner, DJP Consulting 2003 - 2005
- CEO, Skis Dynastar, North America 1996 – 2003
- CFO, Skis Dynastar, North America 1991 - 1996
- Former CPA Manager, Deloitte & Touche Boston 1986 - 1991
- President – Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium
- Current Board Member and Chair of Audit Committee – Vermont Mutual Insurance Company
- Current Chair of Burlington Telecom Advisory Board and former Board Chair of Burlington Telecom Blue Ribbon Committee
- Current President of Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium
- Current Chair of Audit Committee, Society of St. Edmunds, St. Michaels College
- Former Board Member and Chair of Board of Trustees – Wake Robin Corporation
- Former Board Member and President – CATMA
- Former Board Member BBA – Burlington Business Association
- Former Founding Board Member – BTV Ignite
- Former Member – Mayor’s US Ignite Advisory Council
- Former Board Member – Snowsports Industries of America
- Former Board Member – Greater Burlington Boys and Girls Club
- Tim Halverson Business Person of the Year Award – Burlington Business Association – April 2016
- Community Excellence Award – Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce – November 2012
- Social Responsibility Award – Greater Burlington YMCA – June 2014
- Commencement Speaker & Recipient of an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters at St. Michael’ College – May 2001.